Current NTP daemons are complex and difficult to configure and/or have
Because of this, only a limited number of systems run NTP, resulting in many
machines that are off by months and even years.
Our goal is to make NTP ubiquitous by providing a free simple implementation
that is secure and easy to configure.
- Be as secure as possible. Code carefully, do strict validity checks
especially in the network input path, and use bounded buffer operations.
Use privilege separation to mitigate the effects of possible security bugs.
- Provide a lean implementation, sufficient for a majority.
Don't try to support each and every obscure usage case, but cover the
- Try to "Just Work" in the background.
- Work with just a minimum of configuration.
- Reach a reasonable accuracy. We are not after the last microseconds.
$OpenBSD: goals.html,v 1.6 2004/12/22 01:34:03 david Exp $